Dr. Suman Kumar Dawn
Principal (Acting), Chairperson-PGDM Programme & Associate Professor in Marketing & Strategic Marketing
M.Sc (Mathematics) ( IIT, Kharagpur), MBA ( Marketing), PhD( Marketing),
UGC-NET qualified in Management, GATE qualified in Mathematics
Dr. Suman Kumar Dawn has obtained the degrees in MSc (Mathematics) from IIT Kharagpur, MBA (Marketing) and earned his PhD from the University of Burdwan. He is also NET (in Management) and GATE qualified and a research fellow in ICSSR, New Delhi, under MHRD, Govt. of India. The areas of interest of Dr. Dawn are Marketing Management, Marketing Research, Strategic Management, Research Methodology, Quantitative Techniques, Statistics, International Marketing and Operations Research. He has accumulated 25 (Twenty Five) years of teaching, research, administration and industry experience. He has published 30 publications in referred national and international journals and attended several international and national conferences and seminars. Before joining Calcutta Business School , he was Associate Professor in Marketing in Asia Pacific Institute of Management ( AICTE and NBA approved) , and before that he was also the Head of the Department of Centre for Management Studies, JIS College of Engineering ( Autonomous , AICTE approved, NAAC and NBA accredited). Moreover, he was associated as a visiting faculty in Universities and Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management (IISWBM). He is also the member of the editorial board in referred National and International Journals. He has the distinction of serving as Head Examiner of Universities and Institutes of reputes in Management Sciences and also worked as External Examiner, Paper Setters for different Academic Institutions.
More than 25 years of Experience in Teaching, Administration, Research & Industries
- Conducted the subject lectures regularly, keeping an eye on the understanding of the students.
- Carried out practical sessions with explanation about the purpose of the experiment and the procedures that follow to seek results.
- Carried out debate sessions in regular classes to help students to understand the subject better.
- Arranged expert meets for students on a periodic basis to create an interest about the subject.
- Encouraged students to build committees among themselves.
- Provided students with information outside the classroom such as the future prospects in the subject, the competitive exams, etc.
- Conducted and assisted the examination duties.
- Involved in the research activities and supervise the PhD students.
- S.K. Dawn, The Strategies, Challenges, Opportunities and Growth Dimensions of the Organised retail Sector: An Analysis on Indian perspective, JIS Management Vista (JIS Management Journal), Vol .II , No.2 , July-December , 2008, pp.13-26.
- P.K. Bardhan and S.K. Dawn, Role and Efficacies of Supply Chain Management in Indian Automobile Industry : A Case Study of Two Leading Indian Automobile Companies, Kindler ( Management Journal of Army Institute of Management), Army Institute of Management, vol. –VIII, number 2, July –December 2008 (ISSN 0973-0486).
- S.K. Dawn , Designing Effective Distribution Strategies –An Empirical Study, Survey (Journal of IISWBM) , Vol. 49, No.1 &2, 2009 , pp.1-16,(ISSN : 0586-0008).
- T.K. Bose and S.K. Dawn , An Analysis of The Impact of Promotional Elements on Sales and Profits : An Empirical Study, Amity Business Review , Volume 10,No 2 July-December 2009 (ISSN No. 0972-2343).
- S.K. Dawn & S Paul , Relevance of Logistics in Supply Chain Management for overall Customer Satisfaction: An Empirical Study, Review of Professional Management Volume -7, Issue 2, July – December, 2009 ( ISS-0972-8686), New Delhi Institute of Management.
- S.K. Dawn and S. Paul , Managing Sales through Sales Force Motivation: An Empirical Study Based on Indian Financial Organisations, Kindler ( Journal of Army Institute of Management , Kolkata) vol.IX, no.2, issue July-December 2009-10, (ISSN 0973-0486).
- S.K. Dawn and M.K. Das , Reengineering Branding Strategy : A New Paradigm of Sustainable Competitive Advantage with Special Emphasis on FMCG Segment in India , Published on Domain, vol.2, Issue 2, Jan-Jun 2010 (ISSN No. 0973-9564).
- S.K. Dawn and Anindya Guha , E-CRM : A Critical Analysis by Developing an Effective Model, Asia pacific Business Review , vol. V1, Number 3, July-September 2010 (ISSN : 0973-2470).
- S. K. Dawn & S Paul , Developing Brand Strategies of Pharmaceutical Products: An Empirical Study on Diabetic Products, Survey, IISWBM, vol. 50, nos. 1& 2, January-June 2010 (ISSN: 0586-0008).
- S . K. Dawn and M.K. Das, “CRM: An Essential tool for the success of Airline Industry”, published on Proficient, The International Journal on Management, Vol.- II , Issue-1 , January-2010 (ISSN 0975-475X).
- S. K. Dawn and S. Biswas “Managing Absenteeism: A Study on Spanco BPO Services Limited “, published on “JIS Management Vista”, vol. IV, No.1, January-June 2010 ( ISSN : 0974-0872).
- S. K. Dawn “Developing Distribution Strategies for Effective Operations: An Empirical Study Based on Tropicana”, Indian Journal of Marketing, vol. 41, no.2, February, 2011 (ISSN 0973-8703).
- S.K. Dawn & R. Chowdhury, “Electronic Customer Relationship Management (CRM): Conceptual Framework and Developing a Model”, International Journal of Business and Information Technology (IJBIT), vol.1, no.1, March 2011 (E-ISSN 2047-0363).
- S.K. Dawn & S. Biswas, “Employer branding: A new strategic dimension of Indian corporations”, Asian Journal of Management Research, vol. 1, no.1, 2011 (ISSN 2229-3795).
- S.K. Dawn & U.Kar, “E-Tailing In India: Its Issues, Opportunities and Effective Strategies for Growth and Development “, Zenith: International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research: ISSN: 2231-5780, vol.1 , Issue 3, July 2011.
- S.K. Dawn & S. Pal, “Medical Tourism in India: Issues, Opportunities and Designing Strategies for Growth and Development “, Zenith: International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research: ISSN: 2231-5780, vol.1, Issue 3, July 2011.
- S.K. Dawn & S. Pal, “Marketing OTC Pharmaceutical Products: An Analysis on Customers’ Attitudes “, Siddhant Journal: vol.-11, No.4, Oct-Dec.2011.
- S.K. Dawn & A. Sanyal, “ Determinants of Employees’ Job Satisfaction : A Study on Eveready Industries Limited”, Asia Pacific Journal of Research in Business Management (APRJRBM): ISSN: 2229-4104 , vol.2, Issues 12 , December 2011.
- S.K. Dawn & M. M. Dutta, “Mergers & Acquisitions in Indian Banks After Liberalisation : An Analysis “, Indian Journal of Commerce & Management Studies: ISSN 2249-0310 : Vol.III, Issue 1, January 2012.
- S.K. Dawn & T.K. Bose, “Green Marketing for Sustainable development: Issues, Challenges and Strategies in Indian and Global Perspectives”, Kindler, Journal of Army Institute of Management, December 2011.
- S.K. Dawn, “ Understanding Effective Promotional Strategies in an MNC : A Case Study”, Arth Anvesan, January 2012.
- S. K. Dawn & S. Biswas, “Efficacy of Training and Development Analysis Based on Competency in a Brewing Industry”, Review of Professional Management5 , Vol. II, issue 1, ( January –June 2013) ISSN : 0972-8686.
- S. K. Dawn & S. Biswas, “Talent Management : Designing Strategies”, ASBM Journal of Management , vol. VI, issue II, July 2013, ISSN : 0974-8512.
- S. K. Dawn, “Personalised Marketing : Concepts and Framework “, Productivity; vol.54, no.4, ISSN : 0032-9924, eISSN: 0976-3902.
- S. K. Dawn, “ Estimating market potential and identifying marketing Mixes to Market the Dairy Whitener : A Detailed Analysis: Spandan FMS –GNIT International Journal; ISSN: 2348-666X.
- Participapetd and presented the research paper in the International Conference (ICBAMI-2012), organized by Dr. B.C. Roy Engineering College , Durgapur , on 10th & 11th January 2012. The title of the research paper was “Building Corporate Branding Through Corporate Social Responsibility: A Study on Some Selected Indian Companies.
- Participated and presented present paper in the National Seminar organized by the Department of Business Administration on 22nd & 23rd November 2012. The title of the paper is “FDI in Indian Retail Sector: A Critical Analysis”.
- Participated and presented paper in the National Seminar organized by the Department of Business Administration on 22nd & 23rd November 2012. The title of the paper is “Relevance of Talent Management in Organizations: A Strategic Approach.
- Participated and presented paper in the National Seminar organized by the School of Management and Social Science , Haldia Institute of Technology , W.B on 26th -27th December 2012 The title of the paper is “Personalised Marketing : Concepts & Framework”.
- Participated and presented paper in the National seminar organised by The Department of Commerce, The University of Burdwan , W.B. on “IPR : Its Impact on Industry , Trade and Commerce” on 26th & 27th March 2004. The tile of the paper was is “Protecting Computer Software-As an Intellectual Property”.
- Attended the 2 days National Seminar on “HR Challenges in the New Millennium” organised by the Commerce Dept. of the University of Burdwan on 18th & 19th April 2003.
- Attended the National Seminar on Rural Consumers in Globalizing Market Vulnerability and Choice organized by Department of Sociology University of Kalyani in association with Centre for Consumer Studies Indian Institute of Public Administration New Delhi on December 15-16, 2010. The topic of the paper is "Rural Consumerism in India: Challenges and Perspective".
- Attended the two day International conference on “Indian Marketing Summit” held at New Delhi 8th and 9th January 2007. This International marketing Summit organised by Birla Institute of Management technology (BIMTECH, Greater Noida, UP).
- Participated in AICTE sponsored National Conference on “Sustainable Business Growth and Modern Management”, organized by Centre for Management Studies, JIS College of Engineering, Kalyani, on April 27-28, 2012.
- Participated in TEQUIP sponsored National Seminar on ‘Recent Trends in Information Technology’ organized by Department of Information Technology, JIS College of Engineering, Kalyani, held on 19th September, 2013.
- Editor –In-Chief of JIS Management Vista (A Bi-annual Journal having ISSN No. 0974-0872)
- Member of Editorial Board of Spandan (An International Journal with ISSN No. 2348-666X)
- Member of Editorial Board in International Journal of Management Technology
- Member of Editorial Board in the Standard International Journals
- Organized One-day Management development programme for the Marketing Officers of Oriental Insurance Co’s on 3rd November 2006.
- Training provided to Officers of Bhatpara Municipality related to career planning, career development , succession planning on 12th September 2010.
Research work entitled “Ecotourism and Environmental Sustainability: A Study on West Bengal”, has been approved by Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) New Delhi, MHRD, Govt. of India and grant-in-aid of Rs. 4,89,125 ( Rs. Four Lakhs Eighty Thousand One Hundred Twenty Five) was approved and sanctioned.. The research work was carried out successfully, submitted and completed.
- Global Economic Meltdown
- Managerial Excellence- Today’s Demand
- Managing Business in Global Economy
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme (In collaboration with MSME, Govt. of India)
- One month Workshop on Business Skill Development (Organized jointly with MSME, Govt. of India)
- Frontiers of Knowledge Management: Scope and Challenges in 21st Century
- AICTE Sponsored National Conference on Sustainable Business Growth and Modern Management
- Managing Business Organizations : Issues and Challenges
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme (In collaboration with MSME, Govt. of India)
His teaching interest includes Marketing Management, Strategic Management, Strategic Marketing, Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Research, Business Statistics, Business Mathematics, Operations Research etc.