Values (V) are an enduring set of emotional aspects which nurture good human beings form within. It is a process of transformation from consciousness to quality of means employed to achieve level of purity. Healthy, lofty and preferable values are called “Human Values (positive)” while the opposite of this is called “Dis-Values (negative)”.
Ethics (E) can be defined as the norms, values and beliefs embedded in social processes which help us to identify right and wrong for an individual or community. If it is wrong ethics then value is negative and if it is right ethics value is positive.
Skills (S) are actually the methods of doing the work with speed, dexterity (meaning the ability to perform a difficult action quickly and skillfully with the hands, or the ability to think quickly and effectively) and efficiency.
The efficient or excellent work of a manager can be understood in the following equation:
Managerial Excellence = Skills +Values/Ethics
Now values if it is Human Values the sign will be positive (+) and if it Dis-values then negative (-).
A. Seven Candles for Guiding Values in a Manager:
- National Service: One should keep in mind that whatever job they are performing they are all directed to national service and they are serving the nation in broader aspects. A good manager should keep in mind these aspects and work for the organization vision of serving nation simultaneously.
- Fairness: To be an able manager one must have fairness in ideas, expression and knowledge. It is important part for the manager to carry on the duties and responsibility which has been bestowed on him/her.
- Harmony and Co-operation: Harmony in work that is assigned towards a particular goal must be assured by the manager. It is an essential that manager must build relation so that cooperation can be achieved during day-to-day activities or in heavy work load circumstances.
- Struggle for Betterment: The manager must strive for betterment in his/her work. Each and every moment there should be a quest for giving best from oneself.
- Courtesy and Humility: This is a basic requirement in a manager. As a human being he/she must have understanding of other’s emotions, feelings and wellbeing.
- Adjustment and Assimilation: This requirement is also a necessary part otherwise work in group or team cannot take place properly.
- Gratitude: The manager must show gratitude for any work done by his/her subordinate in a better way or any changes suggested should be well accepted.
B. Five ‘P’s of Ethical Power in a Manager :
- Purpose- The mission of the organization should be communicated from the top level management. The values, hopes and vision helps the manager to determine what is acceptable and what should be rejected while performing the duties to reach toward the ultimate goal.
- Pride- It is human nature that we feel proud of ourselves and the organizations we work for. Manager should have that in their mind and then automatically they can resist temptations to behave unethically.
- Patience- The manager must believe that holding to ethical values will definitely lead them to success in the long term. This involves maintaining a balance between obtaining results and way of achieving these results.
- Persistence- The manager must make sure that their actions are consistent with their purpose. Everyone has a commitment to live in a better way following ethical principles. We are committed to our commitment.
- Perspective- Managers must take time to pause and reflect, analyse where they are, evaluate where they are going and determine how they are going to get there.
C. Five Basic Skills for Manager:
- Hard Skills: These are the certificates acquired through completing formal basic education from school level to university. Being a manager one must have this basic qualification requirement for the job being offered to him/her.
- Technical Skills: This is basically the employability skill which is essential to perform a particular job. It can be gained within the job or some previous experiences and sometime prompt adopting capability.
- Professional Skills: This refers to the expertise in professional knowledge by way for internship, practical exposure and technical class attendance. E.g. Teaching skills, Corporate skills, Business skills etc.
- Life Skills: This refers basically to the innermost qualities like peace of mind, concentration, positive energy levels etc. E.g. Yoga, Meditation, Mind Power
- Soft Skills: Soft skill actually relates with “EQ” (Emotional Intelligence Quotient) which refers to mainly the personality traits, social graces, communication, language adopting techniques, personal habits, friendliness, and optimism that mark each of us in varying degrees.
It can be concluded that in any organization whether it is service industry, manufacturing industry, hospital or educational institution management begins and ends with man as the vital elements. If we questioned anybody what man actually produces then the only answer is man produces man to build all that is necessary for management process to reach the goal. Students of Calcutta Business School who join as entry level managers should have at least some of the above mentioned qualities to shine in life and be a positive contributor of the society.
Calcutta Business School